Taste of Nachos+The Ease of Meal Prep+The Satisfaction of a Savory, Healthy Meal
If you’ve taken a peek at any of my previous food posts, you’ve likely noticed that I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes! They’re the perfect source of healthy carbohydrates with a delicious taste that can be used for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The inspiration for these nacho bowls came from my obsession with sweet potato black bean tacos! However, the problem came when I wanted the deliciousness of tacos with the ease of meal prep to take to work. Let’s admit it, while tasty, tacos can be a mess and aren’t exactly 10-minute lunch break friendly. Thus, the sweet potato black bean nacho bowl was born!
A base of seasoned baked sweet potato, these savory nacho bowls are topped with black beans, cheese, and an assortment of flavors from the olive and onion family (onion, jalapeno, red and green peppers)!
These sweet potato nachos are ridiculously easy to make-can you say sheet pan for the win?!- minimal ingredients, low cost, and meal prep friendly. They are also gluten free, vegetarian friendly, and can easily be made vegan by swapping in a plant based cheese!
Side note, these bowls can also be made with turkey sausage for a hardier meal and extra plus of protein to get you through the day!
I can honestly say I get so excited when I know I have these nacho bowls waiting for me in the fridge! That is, when they actually make it into the Tupperware because, for real, there have been times when I help myself to them fresh out of the oven. Hey, no judgement, food has no one form to be confined to! Whether meal prep or an actual meal, these sweet potato nachos kill it every time!
What You’ll Need
- 1 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Add-ins (Onion, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Jalepeno)
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder/Salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large sheet pan with tinfoil, cooking parchment, or lightly sprayed with cooking spray
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes to preferred sized cubes. If you’re potato-cuttingly challenged like me, you can find some of my tips here!
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato chunks with olive oil, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder until coated
- Spread out coated chunks evenly in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are slightly browned and can be easily squashed with a fork
- Remove potatoes and top with black beans and cheese. Replace tray in the oven for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted!
- Once cheese is melted, remove tray and top with your chopped add-ins. [ProTip: Your local grocer likely sells a fajita mix already chopped and ready in their produce section!]
- Divide into preferred Tupperware for the week and refrigerate; or serve and enjoy immediately if you have no will power like me! Most importantly, enjoy!
- Spice It Up- Add protein with some spicy ground turkey! Pinch off small portions of thawed ground turkey and place on the sheet pan with the sweet potato chunks and bake for 20-25 minutes before topping with beans, cheese, and add-ins. Another way, I like to plan these for weeks We’re also doing turkey burgers, and if there are left-over burgers, just tear those up and add to the already assembled bowl! Or just toss some Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles in with the beans!
- Top It Off- When serving or taking a bowl out of the fridge for the day, top with extra cheese, chipotle ranch, and sour cream (or plain greek yogurt for a healthier option!). Avocado+Cilantro Dressing is also a great addition!
- Serve It Up- For the taco-locos out there, this makes a great taco filling! Serve up your desired amount on corn or flour tortillas and top with your preferred taco add-ons!