When all you’re really craving are some cheesy carbs but want to dress it up a bit to avoid the judgement of a 3rd grader!
We’ve all been there, right? A long day, a rough week, some constant thorn in our side that’s driving us to crave all our old-school go-to’s. None of our healthy snacks are hitting the spot, much less inspiring any kind of go-getter, on-top-of-the-world vibes. And then it comes to us: Grilled Cheese!
(Gasp) But wait! A grilled cheese sandwich? Think of the butter, the cheddar, bread chuck full of carbs. Oh, the humanity!
Now, while I’ve personally said to Hell with it all and consumed that buttery deliciousness with no cares (numerous times!), there are times when I want both the comfort of a grilled cheese and the satisfaction of feeling like I’ve outsmarted my cravings with a healthy, tasty alternative. If you’ve also found yourself in this situation, then this dressed up sandwich might just be for you!
Avocado, hummus, feta, and spinach for a savory, healthy adventure? Um, yes please!
The grown-up grilled cheese has all the gooey, crunchy goodness of the classic grilled cheese, while also packed with flavor and healthy power foods:
- Hummus is a blend of chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic, creating a spread full of plant-based protein and heart healthy ingredients! While I still haven’t jumped on the band wagon of hummus as a dip, after tweaking with this recipe, I’ve started using hummus as a swap for mayonnaise on most sandwiches and it has not disappointed!
- Avocados are a great source of Vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well as providing omega-3 fatty acids (don’t worry, these are the good ones!)
Side note: Omega-3 plays a crucial role in reducing inflammation which, in turn, may reduce your risk of osteoporosis, some cancers, heart disease, asthma symptoms, and other conditions. Omega-6 acids can also be beneficial by helping to lessen the risks of diabetic neuropathy, rheumatoid arthritis and even allergies, but due to the popularity of fast food in our communities, people often have too much omega-6 in their systems, which can cause inflammation. The more you know!
- Spinach, while often eliciting the knee-jerk aversion familiar to all things green, is packed with iron, calcium, and protein, making it very important for skin, hair, and bone health.
Sounding a bit too presumptuous for just a cheesy sammie? Or don’t want to buy all the different ingredients? Don’t worry! Just like your favorite pair of jeans, this sandwich dresses down just as well as it dresses up! I’ve frequently made it using only sliced cheese and hummus for the perfect gooey blend of carbs and protein. Mix and match whichever toppings sound best to you, or get fully involved for a flavorful, nutritious sandwich your taste-buds will never see coming!
As always, enjoy!
What You’ll Need
- 2 Slices Bread of Choice
- 2 Slices Havarti Cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 2 Tablespoons Hummus
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Tablespoon Feta
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Spinach
- Preheat medium skillet on low-medium heat. Be sure it’s coated with cooking spray, olive oil, or a bit of butter to get that crispy, browned bread!
- Butter a slice of bread, placing butter side down either in skillet or on separate plate/cutting board to build
- Layer 1 slice havarti, 2 Tablespoons hummus, avocado slices, chopped spinach, feta, 1 slice havarti, and top with 2nd slice of buttered bread
- Cook for about 2-4 minutes each side, until bread is browned and cheese is gooey!
- Serve and enjoy!